18/05/2015

Deconstruction


This is a very old lampshade, it must be at least 30 years old. The construction of the shade itself is very easy: because of the pattern of this fabric, it was made as a cylinder with a channel for a drawstring at each end. The cylinder is slightly bigger than the wire construction, and sewed with attention to the pattern.



The fabric was bought.

The warp is a thin cotton. I think the warp yarn is the same all over, but it is hard to tell. The weft is the same, except for the closer bands: that yarn might be a thin singles linen.



Here is the drawdown:



I gave the presumed linen a different colour, to make reading the construction easier. (The detail picture does obviously not contain a whole repeat - fill it in yourselves)
The crammed warp stripes has 24 ends each; for more open parts I did not even try to count the number...
Also, I did not check the sett, but my guess is that the crammed stripes has double the number of ends per unit (this is the reason I left every other "heddle" empty).

The same goes for the weft: the crammed bands have 12 picks, the two first end the two last in each band go in the same shed. I guess that the linen weft is double the thickness of the other yarn (and I think the other weft is the same as the warp).

Each square is roughly 2 cm - maybe 1/2 cm for the crammed stripe/band, maybe 1 1/2 cm for the open square.

2 comments:

Laura Fry said...

Interesting that they would double the outside ends in the weft but not the warp (or perhaps it was woven the other way?)
cheers,
Laura

Kerstin på Spinnhuset said...

Yes, I was wondering why - intuitively (to me, anyway) the doubled ends ought to "push out", thus disturbing the squares? But is has survived countless washings, so my intuition is obviously off.

- as the "presumed linen" looks to be singles, my guess it it is in the weft, but who knows.